Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
Winter is...here! I am craving comforting flavours and creamy textures with crunchy toppings and spiced flavours. Mac and Cheese ticks the best of the flavour/texture combinations and this one had all of the components with a sweet smoky flavour. It's easy and a lot quicker than you think.
I used canned pumpkin puree as I was cooking late and did not have the time.
Fresh, of course, is better but in terms of flavour you really don't miss out with the canned variety and it is great for quick dinners!
Total Time - 30 mins including prep // Difficulty Level (1-5): 2 //Serves: 4 people
- 200g Elbow Macaroni or 'Spirali' pasta
- 2 litres water
- 2 Teaspoons dried garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon ground celery
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 200g vegan cheddar-style cheese (shredded if possible)
- 2 dessert spoon vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 litre unsweetened almond milk
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- (Optional) - 1 Medium onion diced small
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees
- Place the dry ingredients, vegan cream cheese, onion (optional) and the almond milk into a sauce and mix on a low heat until smooth - leaving a small amount of nutritional yeast to the end for sprinkling over the top of the dish.
- Boil the pasta until just tender, drain, rinse and add to the sauce
- Mix in the vegan cheese - leaving a little for the topping
- Put the mixture into a greased, ovenproof dish and smooth out
- Sprinkle the nutritional yeast, vegan cheese & breadcrumbs over the top
- Place the dish into the centre of the oven and cook until bubbling and golden brown
- Serve as a main course with salad or in smaller, individual portions in a ramekin as as side dish
- This macaroni would make a great accompaniment to my BBQ Tofu recipe (see previous blog post)
I would love to hear your thoughts about this recipe if you make it! Drop me an email or upload your efforts to social media and tag me! Comment below to ask me a question or make a request!
Lifestyle blog: www.lifebymslewis.com