Boozy, Sticky & Sweet Grilled Pineapples
I simply can not, nay; refuse to accept that it's autumn. Cling as I might, I must embrace the chillier climes of autumn which are falling upon us like their best friend: leaves!
It's not all bad news, we may be saying goodbye to the hot weather but there's something else to warm our hearts, and it's pineapple shaped and covered in alcohol...and vanilla beans..and a LOT of brown sugar.
When it comes to dessert, as you may be able to tell by the sheer lack of them on my blog, I'm not a great fan. They have to be pretty special for me to give them a chance. This one is a great bet in anyone's book even mine.
I served this hot piece of loveliness following a dinner party with family; for which I made several vegan dishes including the Whole Roasted Cauliflower; the recipe for which is also available on this blog!
Total Time - 30mins including prep // Difficulty Level (1-5): 3 //Serves: 4 people
- 1 pineapple cored and cut into quarters
- A generous swig of calvados/4 tablespoons
- An equally generous helpingnof brown sugar
- 1 fresh vanilla
- 1 pint of filtered water
- Place the calvados into a small saucepan and heat gently
- Place in your sugar 1 tablespoon at first and allow to dissolve
- While the sauce is heating, split open the vanilla bean and scrape out the seeds and place into the sauce along with the vanilla bean (you will remove this later)
- Place the sauce on the lowest heat to simmer gently, stirring occasionally
- If the sauce is thin add more sugar until it is slightly thicker and will stick to the pineapple
- Place the pineapple into the mixture and coat it well
- Remove the pineapples and place them into an ovenproof dish and keeping back some of the sauce for serving
- Place under the grill under a medium heat
- Keep your eye on the pineapples, turning them when they begin to brown
- Check the sauce; if it's very thick, thin it out with a little water or calvados, if it's too thin, add sugar. You are looking for a syrup texture
- When the pineapples are browned on the edges, remove them and put into a plate.
- Pour over a little of the sauce to coat the pineapples
- I served this with Booja Booja Hunky Punky Chocolate Nice Cream, but it would work with any other flavour - just be aware that the dessert if very hot, and he ice cream will melt, so you may have to eat this quickly...sorry!
If you're new to vegan life welcome, or have been vegan for some time, keep up the good work! I hope my recipes are a good help to you all.
I would love to hear your thoughts about this recipe if you make it! Drop me an email or upload your efforts to social media and tag me! Comment below to ask me a question or make a request!