Twice Baked Mexican Potatoes
A friend of mine from University once made this recipe after a long day of studying, that was over 15 years ago and it's still a favourite. After a busy day of work, I was too tired to create an elaborate dinner, so this easy baked potato recipe was a very happy medium.
Ingredients per person:
- 1 baked potato
- Serving Suggestion
- 2 tablespoons hummous (I used Waitrose Mexican Hummus, any flavour works well)
- Black pepper
- 1/2 red onion sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- A drizzle of Worcestershire Sauce, cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- Coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to the maximum heat
- Prick the potato evenly
- Method 1 - Place the potato in the oven until the potato is crisp and browned - depending on your oven this can be up to 1 hour
- Method 2 - you can quicken the process up if you have a microwave, place the pricked potato in for 10-12 minutes and then transfer into the oven until the potato is crisp and brown (depends on your oven, but this can take around 10-20 minutes
- When the potatoes are browned and starting to crisp, remove them but leave the oven on and place the potatoes on a chopping board
- Put the 2 tablespoons of hummus into a bowl and season with salt and pepper
- With a sharp knife, slice the potato in half lengthways - if the potato is still very hot, hold it with a tea towel
- Carefully run a smaller knife around the inside edge of the potato leaving about a CM of potato and without piercing through the skin.
- The potato will now be a lot easier to scoop out of the skin which you can do with a teaspoon - put the potato into the bowl with the hummus and mash together roughly
- Spoon this mixture back into the potato skins and place them back into the oven
- When the potato is close to done, heat the oil in a frying pan and add in the onions, sugar and vinegar/sauce on a medium heat and stir in so that the sugar coats all of the onion evenly. Leave to simmer on a low heat, checking regularly so it doesn't burn
- The potatoes are done when they start to colour on the top, serve them and too with the red onions and a drizzle of olive oil (optional)
- These potatoes are great with a simple salad but I also often make my own Mexican Baked beans and red salsa to have on the side
- This is a great starter if you use smaller sized potatoes and serve only one half per guest with a simple salad
- Instead of onions you can also serve this with a tomato or aubergine sauce
- This recipe is very versatile, instead of flavoured hummus, try plain or switch it up with vegan cream cheese or chives - use your imagination!
I hope you like this recipe! Don't forget to share your efforts on my social media or comment below to tell me what you thought of it!
Tag me in your photos here: